So another year has finished, and I really don’t feel like I’ve accomplished much on the writing front. No short stories saw print this past year, although I do have 4 coming out in 2015. And I guess I did complete a couple of novels, even if they do need some work. Also got myself a pretty cool mentor via the HWA’s Mentor Program, so that’s something, too. Not to mention the editing gig I’ve got with Blurring the Line.
Okay, so the year wasn’t a total bust. There was a lot happening behind the scenes.
But what with moving from Sydney to Perth, and the chaos that included, and the period leading up to that when I hardly spent any time at home, my writing came to a slow and gradual stop. By December, I’d hadn’t written anything for months.
So bring on 2015, with the new house on the west coast of Australia, some 4000-odd kilometers away from where I spent 2014. Bring on a more settled life, and a renewed focus, thanks to my new mentor. I have plans for 2015, and they involve a lot of writing;
- to write one new novel
- to write at least 5 short stories and submit them to pro markets.
- to edit and get published the 3 novels I completed in 2015
- to finish and send off to an editor the novel I’m currently 2/3 of the way through
- to finish and have edited the novella I have planned but haven’t yet started
- to complete Blurring the Line
That’s some plan, filled with lofty goals and a lot of ambition. And that’s good. If I don’t make it, that’s cool, I’m not going to berate myself. But I find I have to push myself, or I flounder. So here’s to 2015, and pushing yourself.